Sunday, December 19, 2010

Are you feeling depressed, anxious, and angry or have some other feeling that is consuming your happiness for life?

An Interview with Art Therapist Pamela Hayes LMFT

If you answered, "yes" then art therapy could be just what you need to work through those feelings and resolve burdening issues. To help understand the benefits of Art Therapy and what a typical art therapy session would be like, I have interviewed Art Therapist Pamela Hayes, LMFT, ATR-BC.

Tell me a little bit about yourself.
"I am a registered and board certified Art Therapist (ATR-BC). That means that I attended a 2-year graduate program accredited by the American Art Therapy Association (AATA). I graduated from Notre Dame de Numar, in Belmont, California in 1992. Following graduation I completed my post-graduate work while supervised by an Art Therapist, and then I sat for the board exam. I am also licensed as a Marriage Family Therapist (MFT) in California, licensed as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC), and I am a provider for continuing education units (CEU) throughout the United States."

"I have been an Art Therapist for 18 years, and currently I have a private practice where I see children, adolescents, adults, couples and families. My clients have issues ranging from depression and anxiety to addictions and abuse."

How is art therapy different from just counseling?
"Traditional counseling uses verbal conversation and non-verbal body language as its main means of communication. Art Therapy provides a third and forth method of communication: the art-making process and the art product that is created."

"By making and interpreting their own art, individuals can reach beyond censored and unconscious feelings to a deeper understanding of personal motivations in everyday life. Art therapy is a unique and effective approach for offering our clients another means of communication. When words cannot express the secret turmoil, the art produced by the individual is a raw and honest look into our inner most fears, obsessions, motivations and personalities. Every creative endeavor produces a type of self-portrait that can be interpreted and used to aid in further insight and personal growth."

See the entire article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6095358/therapeutic_benefits_of_art_therapy.html?cat=5

No comments: