Sunday, April 10, 2011

Soul Collage: Committee Suit "The Warrior"

This started out as "The Warrior". I wanted to portray my strength.  I am a strong person - physically and mentally.  I maintain my strength through the practice of martial arts and distance running. I travel for work, and I am often alone.  I need to feel strong when I am in a strange city. I trust that, if I had to, I could protect myself.  It may be a false sense of security, but I believe that we all need to live our lives with a sense of security - false or not.  If we do not live with some delusions, than life may be too hard to handle.  Maybe that is what causes people to be depressed. They live without delusion. They only see reality, without the silver-lining or rose-colored glasses  We need our delusions.

But I digress...

This collage became about something else. Now this collage seems to be about opposites.  I love the jockey on the snail.  Not sure why I originally chose this image.  So often my life is a "Hurry up and wait" or maybe it's that I expect to hurry things that just can not be rushed.  When I achieved my 1st degree Black Belt  I though I was a badass.  However, my Sensei told me that NOW I was a student just beginning my journey. I often try to rush the process.

I placed the woman swinging a pick-axe at balloons.  Overkill when a small pin would do the job?  Using the wrong tools for the job.  Bigger and more aggressive is not always better. Sometimes, it seems, that I make my life seem much more difficult than it is.  Am I working too hard at things that should be simpler?

However it could be something completely different.  On occasion a balloon can be deceptively difficult to pop.  Stronger than it looks.  Just like me!

No comments: