Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Degas Dancer in Oil Pastels


Another drawing that was done during client session.  Client was drawing her relationship with her daughter, and I just started drawing the example picture that is on the box of oil pastels.

I need to draw more with oil pastels.  They are so forgiving and fun to blend. Because I was copying this drawing, I was surprised by the color use of the shading and highlights. I would have never seen the shadows as blue or the skin as purple and yellow if I had not drawn this image - in fact, I have looked at this drawing hundreds of times on the pastel box, but I have never really seen at it before.

Looking and seeing are NOT the same.  Check out "Zen and the Art of Seeing/Drawing as Meditation" by Frederick Franck  .  Great book.

No comments: