Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 5: Cornflower

This drawing took about an hour - longer than the other drawings so far. This is also the first time that I was not alone in the room while I drew - I was talking with my sister, Amy, who is visiting from Marblehead, MA.
Since this crayon is called "Cornflower" I felt, at first, that I needed to draw a flower. That is how it started out, but I was quickly disappointed with what was evolving. This drawing kept changing as I drew one thing, drew over that, scratched out and redrew. I tried using different pressures to create several shades and multiple lines and shapes (IE circles, straight lines and squiggles).
It no longer looks like a flower, but I want to deny that it looks like a lion or dog face, but it does - I have to admit that out loud. Now that I am looking at it, I think it is kind of sweet as a lion-face. In fact, if I were to draw my family as animals (which is an assignment that I often give to my clients) I would draw my sister as a lion. She has long, red, curly hair - like a mane. So, I guess this drawing is an abstract interpretation of my sister. I will title "Amy in Blue".

No comments: