Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 7: Burnt Sienna

I was at an a Capella conference with my sister at UCLA today, and I was sitting in one of the workshops while I drew this. The other drawings so far have been very abstract, and I felt like creating a more representational piece. I almost always draw while I am in a class (I have been doing that since, well, since I have been taking classes - 3 years old). I often draw figures while in a class.

I think this dancer came out because I was attending a class on something which I know very little (music), but it is not so dynamic to draw a singer as it is to draw a dancer. I know even less about the world of dancing. I used to draw musicians a lot when I first started dating my husband and he was working as a professional musician where I sat through many many gigs by myself as a groupie.

The floor tiles became a little obsessive, but my mind likes that while I am listening to a lecture. I believe that the only reason that this dancer is naked is because I prefer to draw the body than to draw clothes. I realize that this lights in this drawing look like breasts, but I was copying the actual lights in the class room. However, this particular teacher was very pregnant and her breasts were huge, and I remember thinking that at the time. There are no accidents in art.

I used new technique with the crayon - I drew very heavy, and than I scratched out with my nail - muting most of the color, but leaving a darker outline. I like that affect (except for the crayon left under my nail).


No comments: