Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 14: Macaroni and Cheese

First off - I must apologize for not getting yesterday's drawing up yesterday.  My daughters had three friends sleeping over and they were in the room where the scanner lives... Believe me, you do NOT want to interrupt 5 pizza and milkshake filled teenage girls while they are watching "She's The Man".

Secondly, thank you to all those of you who sent their emotional support yesterday when my blog was sad and colorless.  I am feeling better.  One of the reasons that I have chosen to do this "64 day / 64 Crayola colors drawing" Art Therapy experiment is to show how my feelings change from day to day. So, no matter how sad, angry or alone I feel one day, it is possible to start a new day feeling completely different.  I find that people assume if they feel sad today, they will definitely feel sad tomorrow and they must have felt sad yesterday. Not true! Emotions are fluid. In order to illustrate that (pun intended) I must be completely honest with myself, my drawings and my interpretations.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled program...
I am feeling better.  Not completely over the disappointment from yesterday, but closer to some acceptance. It really helps that I got an apology and felt real remorse from my loved one.

It is a beautiful, sunny, citrus, California morning. The sun is streaming in.  Both cats are sleeping in there beds in the bright sunlight.  I look out the kitchen glass doors to my backyard where I see my swimming pool and the lemon tree. I cut open an orange from the bowl of fruit on the table, and the smell permeates my senses. I choose a bright and sweet color. The drawing starts as the fruit and than metamorphoses first  into a sun and later into what could be a sea creature.

The fruit and the sun are obvious, but I need to explain the sea creature.  On Tuesday I am leaving for South Carolina, Georgia and northern Florida where I am doing a series of lectures on Art Therapy and grief.  Than, I am heading down to Miami where I am getting on a Carnival Cruise ship to Jamaica and Grand Cayman Island with my cousin Susan.  Today Susan I were choosing the excursions that we are interested in, and snorkeling was high on our list.  There! Sea creature reference.  Art Therapy is similar to dreaming - things that were part of our consciousness a few hours earlier make their way into our subconscious drawing.

I just need to add one thing... This Crayola crayon seemed waxier than the others.  It was very difficult to get a dark full coverage, and it was flaking off more than I had experienced with the previous colors.  My question to Crayola... Does the hue of the crayon change or alter the texture? or Is there a different wax content from crayon to crayon?

No comments: