Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 32: Apricot

I have to say that I am getting really tired of drawing with crayons.  They are pretty limiting.  I am trying to be creative, but it is hard.  I just want to draw with ink or paint or anything else... This is what it's like to be on a truly restrictive diet.  After 32 days, I just want to eat different food!

This started out as a tree and turned into an octopus looking "thang". The lighter crayons are really waxy, and harder to get a color variation.  I had so much fun melting the green crayon yesterday, that I got out the lighter again, and just let it go wild.  I even brunt the paper in a few places (I don't think you can see that in the scan).  I am pretty sure that the melted wax is going to start chipping off, so this will be an image that continues to change and morph.

As I look at it now, I feel like I want it to be something that it is not.  Or maybe I want the crayons to do something that they are not made to do.  What does that say about me?  I start off with one intention and get sidetracked into something else?  I want to present as cool, hip and unique, but really I am messy and sloppy.  Plus, nothing is going to stay the same forever.  I believe these last few drawings have really been speaking to my own feelings of getting older and not being able to pull off "young" anymore.

Also, this past week I have been trying to put together a Women's Art Group, and I am getting frustrated.  I believe people are interested, but everyone is so busy and/or commitment phobic that they will not settle on a date to meet.  I just want to create an opportunity to be social, creative and interactive with some really special women. (and maybe use it as an excuse to have a glass of wine on a week day evening).  Just like with the crayons, I am frustrated.

No comments: