Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 46: Pacific Blue

It's really interesting that I chose this color today, because there is a tsunami watch for the Pacific - from Japan to San Diego, CA (I live in southern CA) - due to the 8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan today.  Although I did hear that story on NPR this morning, I did not purposely pick this color for the name.  However, once I looked at the name, I absolutely wanted to draw something ocean related.  But, by that point, I had forgotten about the tsunami/earthquake story.  I am sure it was still in my subconscious.

Crayola has a lot of similar blue colors.

This reminds me of a linoleum-cut print that I did when I was in 8th grade art class at Byron Junior High School in Shaker Heights, Ohio.  I still have that print, and it was hanging up in my house until very recently when someone knocked it off the wall and broke the frame (Now it's waiting in the garage.  There are a lot of things waiting in my garage.  Not sure what they are waiting for.  A glass terrarium that used to house daughter's pet snake, but the snake is now dead, a broken ceiling fan, a broken ping-pong table...Just waiting).

But I digress. I like the layers of the ocean.  From the dark colored waves, to the vertical lines, to the drawn circles, to the dripped melted wax circles. I feels to me like the ocean has many layers that change as they descend.  Those dark circles may be threatening - just waiting to be stirred up to the surface by an earthquake and consequent tsunami. What's in my subconscious just waiting for some natural disaster to stir it up?

No comments: