Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 55: Tan

It rainy and cold.  Its Sunday and dreary.  The house is sticky and messy. The laundry needs to be done, but the daughters refuse to pick up their clothes from the floor and put it in the basket.  There are cup and snax left about the house from last night (after I was in bed).  The cats' litter box needs to be changed, but no one will admit that it is their turn to change it. I need to go grocery shopping, but the family would rather complain that there is nothing good in the house than make any suggestions about what they want. I am in a bad mood.

I did not look at the crayon's name - I just chose one.  There are few crayons left, but there seems to be a lot of brownish colors.  I am trying to spread those out.  Anyhow, I drew my "Bad Mood" picture and than looked at the color name.  I saw "Bronceado".  I have no idea what a "bronceado" is - it sounds like bronze to me.  I look it up on the internet, and get a lot of pictures of people laying out on the beach.  Okay, I get it, bronze makes sense, but why didn't Crayola just call it "Bronze"?  I look at the Crayola.com website, and everything comes up in Spanish.  I pick up the crayon again, and look more closely. It says "Tan", and underneath that it says "Bronceado" and just below it says "Havane" (French).

Misreading.  Misinterpretation.  Misunderstanding.  That is what makes communicating so difficult.  I misread the label.  This is something that I often do at the grocery store, because I am in a hurry or I am distracted.  I intend to buy chicken noodle soup, but when I get home I see I actually grabbed chicken rice soup.  No one likes chicken rice soup, so I eventually end up eating it because I was not really paying attention in the first place.

I am getting from this, that I just need to slow down a little bit.  Look at things differently.  If my Biggest problem is that my daughters won't pick up their dirty clothes, I am a lucky person.  So what if its rainy outside today, and I have to forfeit my 8 mile run in the canyon, at least I have a warm, dry house.
I can spend the day finishing my work 

No comments: